Calusinski was found guilty in November 2011 of first-degree murder in the January 2009 death of 16-month-old Benjamin Kingan, who was from Deerfield. She was sentenced to 31 years in prison and has been incarcerated for six years.
“[Calusinski], who has no history of violence and had absolutely no motive to harm Ben, was convicted based on irrefutably false medical evidence offered by the state’s testifying experts,” according to the motion filed by Calusinski’s attorney, Kathleen Zellner.
- Attorneys for convicted child killer argue for new trial over disputed evidence, Chicago Sun-Times
- Attorney: Better X-rays exonerate day care worker convicted of killing toddler, Chicago Daily Herald
- Attorney for Melissa Calusinski pushes for new trial, cites new evidence, ABC 7 Chicago
- Calusinski's quest for new trial in infamous day care center murder heard in appeals court, Chicago Tribune
- Appeals Court Hears Calusinksi's Bid For New Trial In Toddler's Death, CBS Chicago
- Lawyer Kathleen Zellner on Calusinski Arguments, Chicago Tribune
- Amanda Knox: Why Do Innocent Women Confess To Crimes They Didn't Commit?
- Melissa Calusinski reveals why she confessed to murdering a toddler: I was terrified, People Magazine
- Woman convicted of killing toddler at day care declares innocence, People Magazine
- Guilty Verdict Stands in Day Care Murder; judge rejects reversal, Chicago Tribune
- Calusinski denied new trial, Chicago Daily Herald
- Judge Denies Request By Melissa Calusinski for New Trial
- Judge Denies Melissa Calusinski's Request for Trial, People
- Calusinski Hearings Concluded, Decision Pending, Lake County Chronicle
- Still Claiming Innocence, Former Daycare Worker Gets 31 Years for Killing Deerfield Toddler, Trib Local
- An anonymous phone call, new X-ray evidence and a fresh try at freedom for convicted child killer
- Hearings begin in Melissa Calusinski's effort to get new trial
- Dead boy's x-rays likely to determine if day care worker gets new trial
- 5 years after day care murder conviction, new hearing for Calusinski
- Ruling possible this week for new murder trial for day care worker
- Former Day Care Worker back in court seeking new trial in toddler's death